New places

I've now been in Peru since Wednesday and although uneventful, I have learnt a few things.
1. Peru is very big
2. Bathroom facilities are not as advanced as the UK
3. I like Pisco sours and eating guinea pig is a real thing.

I will be arriving in Chiclayo in a couple of hours after a 12 hour drive from Lima.  Although tedious, it was an overnight journey with a tv, food and sleeping pills included. It will never match up to an actual bed but it will do for the small price of £25.

Before embarking on my journey to Chiclayo, I spent 3 nights in a hostel in Miraflores in a dormitory including 5 bunk beds for myself and my fellow Volunteach compadres and one small bathroom.  Unlike in the UK, the water system is incapable of getting rid of the toilet paper, so a small bin is provided. Although this was at first difficult to comprehend and get used to, I think I have mastered the action.

As I was staying in Lima for a couple of days before moving to my first placement, my second host family wanted to meet me.  After being filled up with croissants, coffee and churros, they took me for Paella as it's my favourite. It was then I was introduced to the Peruvian cocktail 'Pisco sours' which consists of lemon, sugar, egg white and 'pisco' which reminds me of tequila. Since then, i've made the most of the price of these drinks with the girls from VTP, particularly during our final night in Lima together.  My Peruvian family were also lovely enough to make me a box filled with different Peruvian food (pisco included) which I intend to devour in the next few days. Also guinea pig or 'cuy' is a very normal thing to eat in Peru - although I'm not brave enough for that yet.

This adventure is just beginning and although I miss home already, I know they will all be there when I return.

Until then, hasta luego.

Comments

Popular Posts