You better Bolivia it!

Right so as I said the blog would be late this week as I have spent the past 7 days in Bolivia! I had initially gone because I needed more time on my passport and didn't want to have to pay the extra days that I am here but that didn't work out at the airport as the woman in Cusco when I re-entered Peru took a bit of a disliking to me and refused to give me more than 45 days.  But apart from that, Bolivia was amazing!


I travelled very early last Saturday morning to Lima international airport and met a friend there where we travelled by 2 flights to La Paz which is the capital of Bolivia.  There we met the other 3 girls from VTP and had a little look around the city before taking the overnight bus to Uyuni.  In Uyuni the next morning, we started our 3 days 2 nights tour of the Salt flats and the train cemetery as well as other natural treasures like different coloured lagoons, hot springs and geysers. It was an amazing tour! Seeing the Salt flats would have been enough but to see all of the other places as well just made it so much better!

The Salt flats stretched out as far as the eye could see and were just absolutely amazing! It also made for some great fun taking pictures with different objects like a Pringles can and a rubber dinosaur. We were given bikes to ride over a section of the flats before stopping to eat lunch.













We had llama steaks too which were pretty groovy. We bought beers to enjoy the sunset over the flats which, although a tad chilly, was really beautiful to see.We spent the night in basic accommodation which was fine, although a friend and I kept getting electrocuted by the shower so we had to trek half way across the building to find another shower.  The following day, we saw other pretty places and spent the evening with 2 bottles of wine between us sitting in the hot springs watching the stars and then watching the moon rise. Perfect.

When we had finished the tour, 3 of us took the bus back to La Paz while the other 2 made their way to Machu Picchu. As we couldn't check in until 2, I spent most of my morning sat in a hammock. We also went for a trip around the markets which were VERY cheap.  So I obviously couldn't help myself.  Part of the market consists of a witches market where you can find odd ingredients such a dried corpses of baby llamas.  That definitely tops everything else as the oddest thing I have ever been tried to sell.

I spent Thursday relaxing/recovering from karaoke and dancing on the bar the night before. In the evening we went and saw the 'Cholitas', who are indigenous Aymara and Quechua women, wrestle. It was definitely something! There were fights between just women as well as one between a man and a woman which obviously spiked a bit of controversy with the crowd.  But it was awesome! These women can be recognised by their bowler hats, shawl, skirt and petticoat.  I have attached an article about them below as their stories and view in society is rapidly changing.  Personally I think they are pretty awesome although quite intimidating.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-26172313

On Friday, I got on a bike and took on 'Death Road' or 'La Calle de la Muerte'.  Now for those who have read any of my other blogs, you may remember mentioning this attraction and how the idea of it all had terrified my mother.  I had said I wouldn't do it to keep her and my daddy alive for that little bit longer.  However I couldn't help myself after talking with others about it. So you can imagine how that conversation went when I finally regained wifi after 3 days without it.  At first, I thought my mum had not heard my proposal as the signal went funny. I thought 'maybe she will be okay with it.  Just say it again and brace yourself'.  So when my phone finally reconnected and I was staring into the face of the particularly unhappy mummy of mine, I knew that she HAD heard me and that was all of my Christmas presents out of the window.  I tried to lighten the mood by promising I would be careful and sending a lovely photo of me on the Salt Flats.  She answered with a picture of a dead racoon with the google search of 'Road kill'.

Despite the slight chance of danger, I never felt like I would fall to my death off of the side of the cliff.  I was kitted out with elbow and knee pads (which took me back to learning how to ride my bike with my dad where I had trendy pink barbie pads) as well as a motorbike helmet, overalls and gloves.    Overall, we cycled about 56km which was 90% downhill and although a little scary, I really enjoyed it! Not only did I prove my parents wrong by NOT dying, I got to see some amazing views AND get a t-shirt!

so overall my trip was unBoliviable! - get it?

I returned home to Lima yesterday afternoon and went to the cinema with my new family.  They say my Spanish has improved from when they first met me in August so WINNER! We went to mass very early this morning (7:30am to be exact) so no lie-in for me.  I spent the next few hours in the bath which is also a jacuzzi! Oh how I have missed baths.  I have had a bit of a dodgy tummy though so when we went for lunch, I couldn't have a yummy steak or frozen fruit juice like everyone else- so I sulked a tad.

As I write my blog, I am listening to Nieves, my new sister, practice the violin.  I am also being attacked by Snow the dog who wants to eat my hand and jumper while I write.  I start at the new school tomorrow and my pickup will be at 6:30am. You can imagine how excited I am...

Not only is it my first day at my new school tomorrow but it is also my anniversary with my boyfriend Lucas. 4 YEARS! How has he survived that long? Although I won't see him, we have both got our presents from each other to open so I have that to look forward to.

Anyway I did tell you it would be long!
Until next time, Ciao.

Comments

  1. Never mind this years Xmas being gone all your birthday presents are being returned !! 😘 Great blog chick 🐥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts