Cócteles, Census and Cejas



On Thursday after school, a few of us went to Miraflores in Central Lima for a friends birthday.  We were lured in by the promise of 2 free Pisco sours with our meals and so we happily sat down and looked at the menus.  Obviously when they say free they mean it but the drinks arrive in tinnnnnnnnyyyyyy little glasses - more like shots - but free!  Also my new promise to myself to spend little money on other things and focus it on my travels came into play when I only ordered tequeños (little cheese pastries usually eaten as starters) for my dinner then sat enviously and watched the others munch on their yummy food.  Bloody budget.

On Friday, I had my FIRST EVER LIE IN! In was dreamy.  I then saw my friend Nadia for a few hours who was travelling back to the UK.  We just relaxed, ate food (free food yay) and watched Netflix.  I then went to see the daughter in my house play Volleyball and after when she had a party, my host mum and I went for cocktails and food In a restaurant which sold every alcohol under the sun!
My host dad joined us later and there were G&T´s and Algarrobina´s all around! I then somehow ended up IN A NIGHTCLUB with my host parents and despite being the youngest by at least 10 years, I was the least fun because I was tired.  I did jump up for one song to have a jig on the dance floor but apart from that I was boring.

On Saturday, we got bad news that my host mums friend had passed away. We went to the house of her friend later in the evening to pay our respects to the family.  In Peru it is common to bring the body of the person to the house to stay there before the funeral.  I am lucky enough to not have been to a funeral before or seen a dead body so this whole experience was very new to me.  I felt immense sadness being surrounded by people grieving for a woman who had been taken from this world too early.  I prayed with my host mum for her friend and her family and also thanked and gave praise for the good health of my own family and friends.  It was a harrowing experience but I was glad I accompanied my host mum to show my support and respect.

On Sunday, Peru had a census so all of the family had to stay in the house to be registered.  I took the opportunity to have a bath and relax with my pink bubbles and music.  We had a BBQ and then I took the time to chat with my Dad.  After a long old chat with him, I watched a movie with my host sister before getting an early night - being fully aware of my early start the following mornng.

On Monday, I decided to brave it and get my eyebrows (or cejas in Español) done. There was a beauticians close to my house and I had been recommended it by the maid so I popped down there after school.  My eyebrows are very important to me so I suddenly felt very nervous when I sat in the chair (after being told it would be 10 soles which is the equivalent of £2.50) After 2 months of attempting to fix them myself I knew there was much to work with but still I feared for the lives of my brows.  Lets say I was pleasantly suprised when I looke


d at them after and they looked pretty good! And befoe any of you think this is just spending money - MY EYEBROWS ARE A NECESSITY.

I also decided last night that I was going to learn how to do the splits - so I have 30 days- lets see if I can do it!

I am off to Arequipa tomorrow for the weekend to see a friend for her birthday.  A visit to the Colca Canyon and a hostel is all I have paid for so far - I intend to not spend much more... only perhaps a Pisco Sour... or 2.
That will be the topic of my blog next week!

Until then, Ciao!

P:S Just wanted to say a little thing for my sister today as she went and had her tonsils out.  This is her second operation in a year and the sister of the year award will not be awarded to me for another year as I have not been present at either of them.  But I know she will have handled it very well because she is super brave (minus the want for magic cream on her hand) and I know she will be absolutely fine.  I mean I expect my parents are over the moon because they will have peace and quiet for a week while she can´t talk! But anyway, Rose, I love you and I will make up for not being there at Christmas!

Comments

Popular Posts