New School, New Friends, New Budget and a New View on Peru

I know I only wrote a few days ago but I am writing again because the other one was just late!

So I have now been working at my new school Lord Byron for 4 days and have completed my 'first week'. It is quite different to the set up that I had in Chiclayo but just as good!  Instead of working with a variety of classes of all age groups ranging from 5-17 I am working with just 4th grade in primary. They are about 10 years old and actually pretty cute! Like before, they find the presence of someone new and English in their classes very fascinating.  So I am still greeted with a familiar ´Miss Aliceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee´when I walk into the room.  I have also started bringing a trusty green pen to class because the kids love it when I put ticks on their work with big smiley faces.  I am also really happy to be only working with 4 classes because it means I can actually learn the names of the children! It is very awkward not knowing their names so having to call them ´darling´or ´sweetheart.´  I mean I do that with people generally because I am terrible with names but still!

This school also teaches Maths in English so guess who helped out in a maths class! Now for those who really know me, they know that I do not DO maths.  I just about got my maths GCSE so I was filled with pure panic when I walked into the class to be asked ´you understand how to do decimals and fractions right?´- Yes Miss I know how to do decimals about as much as know how to pluck my eyebrows - very slowly with little patience and usually end up messing them up completely.

But nevertheless, I acted confident in my B grade maths ability and proceeded to help the kids - and surprisingly I was able to do it! I mean it was aimed at 10 year olds so if I couldn´t it, then...

I have also a new friend here! (wow I sound like an excited 5 year old after their first week at school - but you can´t help it here because at times your interaction with another English person is quite limited - Lima is better though because there are more VTP students)
We are both working at the school and unbeknownst to us both, we both study at the University of Nottingham! The other VTP chica at the school with us was one of my galavanting buddies in Bolivia last week (which I wrote a pretty hefty blog about so check it out!) and has been here longer so she has been letting us know the in-and-outs of the school. The teachers here are all really lovely too and great for a chat (and coffee in the mornings)

SPEAKING OF MORNINGS
mine starts at 5:40am.  It´s a killer.  There was only one movilidad available and it was at 6:30am. A movilidad is basically a big people carrier which drives around and picks up all the kids for school, me included.  I leave even earlier than the daughter in my house! It is pretty painful but hey at least I can get to school! It just means I feel like a granny because I am going to bed before 9pm at night.  I actually look forward to jumping into my bed with my Paddington bear teddy and Tedcas my other teddy and snuggling down. Is that bad at 21!?



On Tuesday my new friend Elsa and I went for coffee close by to discuss travelling and plans.  When I returned home I realised after 15 minutes that the electricity was off hence the reason why the bell was not ringing and I was stood on the doorstep like a lemon with people watching the ´poor foreign girl who had OBVIOUSLY FORGOTTEN that it had been turned off in the area'.  So the family and I ate by candlelight (how romantic) and then I helped the daughter with some homework. The electricity came on shortly after but unfortunately the hot water is still making it´s way back as I washed my hair over the bath yesterday in COLD WATER and attempted to shower again this morning in cold water - with little success because I am a wimp.

On Wednesday, I took part in the volunteering programme organised for us in Pamplona.  Pamplona is a much poorer part of Lima which has a wall that seperates the rich houses from the shanty town.  The children have little to no education.  Our ´school´ is in a police station where we teach English to around 15 kids per class.  Yesterday we talked all about Paddington Bear with the inclusion of colours and videos.  Their enthusiasm was really heart warming and makes you think twice about what you have yourself. I have never been short of education or opportunities. These kids jump at the opportunity just to sit in a classroom. It was a real eye opener but I look forward to helping out in the upcoming weeks.

I now have 2 months until I come home.  And as I am in Lima, it is easier to travel to places from here. So I am intending to make the most of it with trips to Machu Picchu (obviously), Arequipa, Iquitos and Huacachina. Obviously these things cost money and so I have recently discovered, I do not have these funds. SO I intend to still go but maybe...not eat? It also means that you are all getting a hug for Christmas and maybe a picture of me on one of my adventures with a message saying 'Sorry, this is what your Christmas present money was spent on'.

Sorry for the lack of photos this week - haven't really taken any - promise more next week!

Til then, Ciao!





Comments

Popular Posts