Paddington goes into the depths of deepest darkest Peru

This week started on a high because last Wednesday it was the deciding football game between New Zealand and Peru where the winner was going to the World Cup in Russia.  A lot was at stake.  For the Peruvians, the opportunity to be in the World Cup after 36 years.  For me, a day off school hung in the balance.

We were obviously both wanting to win for very different reasons. I also knew that if we didn't win, not only would I have to go to school but I would have to get up earlier because I needed to wash my hair and pack my bag to go to Iquitos and I wouldnt be returning to the house so I would need to take my bag with me.  So now my sleep was on the line too.

I didnt think I would be able to stay awake for the game but somehow I made it through the whole game and WE WON! So I skipped up to bed knowing that I had a lie-in ahead of me.

So the following morning, I lazily went about my day before meeting the girls I was going to Iquitos with for a coffee before we made our way to the airport.  I swear I have spent more time in airports in the last 2 months than I have in my whole life!

When we landed in Iquitos, the heat was a shock to the system.  It was pouring it down with rain and honestly looked like a classic scene from the UK. Dark, raining and (falsely) cold looking.  What a surprise when it most definitely WAS NOT cold and I was met by a nearly claustrophobic heat as I stepped off the plane.  We grabbed out bags and made our way to the hostel.  We were quite tired so we popped out to grab some snacks and then got ready for bed.  As Iquitos is a malaria area, this meant covering myself in insect repellant and hoping for the best as I recently discovered that the pills that a Peruvian pharmacist had given me to PREVENT malaria was actually to TREAT malaria... imagine how my mum reacted when I mentioned that one.

Now I usually sleep in a t-shirt and shorts, occasionally trousers if its chilly.  So imagine having to wear a long sleeved t-shirt and leggings in a tropical climate...not comfortable. Luckily there was a fan in the room which assisted - slightly.  I dont usually take cold showers either as, to me, they seem like a form of torture. But for once I was glad of a cold wash the following morning.

We met our guide downstairs and headed off to the dock where we travelled for 2 hours along the Amazon river before walking a short distance to our lodges.  After lunch and a short break, we headed out to La Isla De Los Monos. As soon as we got off the boat, we were each given a banana.  We had been there less than 30 seconds and we were already surrounded by lots of little monkeys ever so keen to steal the bananas off of us. We were told all of their names as well as their types. I became a climbing frame as well as a ladder that the monkeys used to climb into the trees above our heads. It was so much fun and although I entered with a white top and came out covered in mud and banana, I was very pleased to have been so close to them.

After dinner that night, and once the torrential rain had stopped (they don't call it the amazon rainforest for nothing) we went on a night walk into the jungle.  Kitted up with poncho (thanks to mum), wellies and a torch, we set off into the dark.  Now I tell you, it was like being in a horror movie.  As our tour guide advanced forward with a machete (obviously for cutting the foliage out the way) all I could think was... if he wanted to kill us, he could. It is dark and we don't know our way back. IT HAPPENS! Morbid thoughts, I know, but I couldn't help it. Especially when we were trying to coax out a tarantula from its hiding place and we turned off our torches and it was pitch black. I couldn't even see my friend next to me - I could only feel her gripping onto me! Also at times, I was walking at the back. So I kept turning around expecting to see some massive dangerous animal following me. Obviously there wasn't.
Obviously nothing did happen to me as our guide was really nice. However when we asked what the scariest thing in the jungle was he replied 'humans' and then began to explain that if we had a lot of money, we were in danger out here - the 'jungle people' might get us. Guess I was safe then because my bank account definitely isn't flowing with the mullah right now.

Anyway, we saw a few things such as a snake, a frog, 2 spiders, and a whole lot of leaves.






The following morning, we went Piranha fishing and I am proud to say I CAUGHT ONE! I mean it was a tiny little fish that was pretty pathetic looking but I caught it! I was very proud of myself.

We then went and saw an anaconda, a caiman and some sloths! I had never seen a sloth in real life and I got to give him a hug and everything!

On our way back to the lodges, we stopped to watch the pink dolphins in the river (the pink dolphins are male and the grey are female). We also went swimming ourselves to cool off!












We then headed back to the lodges to grab our stuff before heading back to Iquitos.  But not before the heavens opened and brought torrential rain, thunder and lightning.

Despite the price I had to pay (being a tourist), I had a really good time and I intend to go back for longer in the future.  Although I am not afraid of bugs, I do have a new found appreciation for the celebs on 'I'm A Celebrity, Get Me Out Of Here'!

I don't have any more trips planned now so I am on the home straight! I am going home earlier than initially anticipated due to bloody BA messing around with my flights.  It has been changed 4 times now and I am not impressed to say the least. But I am going home a couple of days earlier so I guess something good has come out of all of the faff.

Anyway until next time,
Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts