Ice to meet you, Paris

So I have just completed my first week here in Paris. I am getting the hang of my job as well as gaining a daily routine along with some friends to keep me busy.  On Monday, I was introduced to my fellow intern and given a bit of a tour around the University.  After a few problems with the French keyboard, I was on my way! I thought 'New Year, New job, New attitude.' So I optimistically told a friend that I would go to Zumba with her that evening and booked myself onto the rather pricey class.  I was suddenly regretting it after putting my gym clothes on, getting to the metro, missing the metro and being inevitably late to the class.

However after eventually reaching the class, I was met by a group of ladies of all ages and shapes dancing under disco lights in a club, following the instruction of a VERY handsome instructor. I won't lie.  I did think he was yummy. I really enjoyed strutting my stuff with all the other ladies and have booked myself in again!

The rest of the week in terms of 'work' was rather similar and uneventful. What was NOT normal was the weather.  What started off as 'sleet' turned Paris into a winter wonderland!  It was the most snow I had ever seen and although it provoked havoc with everyone else and their commute to work, it made  my short 10 minute walk to work very pleasant and pretty.  It did nearly land me on my arse half a dozen times due to the ice and it also made me realise I needed new boots but I really enjoyed the pretty view I saw from my window as well as watching other people slip and slide along the pavements. The snow did mean that I was kind of left to my own devices quite a lot because people couldn't get to work. But I somehow managed on my own. Independent woman right here.

I went to the bank to try and sort out a French account which I required to be paid by the university (so obviously VERY important to me) so I went across the road to a bank recommended to me by a friend.  I had all the paperwork required and started filling out the forms given to me when the initially nice woman came over to me and told me I was not allowed to open an account and then started suggesting I had signed my house contract in the place of my landlord (which I obviously didn't) and told me that I needed to get it signed again. I tried to tell her that the signature on the contract WAS my landlords and even showed her my signature on other forms I had.  She was having none of it and basically refused to help me.  So I left feeling rather confused and upset. I plucked up the courage to go to another bank who were MUCH nicer.  I sorted my account with them a few days later (and was even given a coffee in the process!) and made the deadline to be paid for the next months work. WOOHOO.

On Friday, I went shopping with Lauren, a friend from uni whom I work with here. I forked out the money for some new boots and after a Mcds (oh so French), we went for a drink at the bar across the road from the University.  We were joined by a couple of international students before heading home to bed.  I spent Saturday in bed having a particularly lazy day, only occasionally getting up to pee and make a cuppa tea.

Today, Lauren and I went into Paris to visit the Louvre and Notre Dame.  Alongside eat a massive Pain au Chocolat and getting stuck in the metro doors, we did make it to these destinations and I even got to eat Moules Frites, one of my favourite foods, shortly followed by Crême brûlée with a side of Rosé wine.

I am now sat back in my room again with a hot water bottle (as my room is bloody freezing!) and preparing myself for another week of work. I intend to join the gym this week.  We will see how that goes...











Comments

Popular Posts