Never in one place for long

HI ALL!

I am very aware that I did not write a post the week I left Peru.  This was mostly because I was faffing around and too busy suddenly realising I was going home after 4 months.  Well that was almost 2 months ago and after being frequently reminded by people that I had not signed off on the first part of my year abroad, I AM BACK.

My final week in Peru was filled with hugs, cards, singing, dancing, crying and a group of 10 year olds dressed in animal masks jumping around to 'What does the Fox say'.  My final day at the school saw me walking away with a reference from the school, a jumper and a bag full of cards, photos and presents made by my classes. It was heart-warming and breaking at the same time as the children told me how much I had helped them and how they would hopefully see my really soon (as in next year). I said I would hope to return but next year was just a little too quickly.  No matter, they were adamant that they would be waiting for me when I returned.  I was also performed the traditional coastal dance Marinera by a girl in my class who is the national champion for her age group! She twirled around in her beautiful dress and made it look like a piece of cake! - Which I discovered it definitely was not when I tried/ was forced to try a (supposedly) easy dance move and looked like a right lemon in front of my whole class.



When my family took me to the airport there were many hugs and promises of a return with the assurance that I always had a family in Peru ready to welcome me back with open arms.  I then embarked on the long journey home - luckily sat by the window - and prepared myself to be reunited with my family.

Although I did nearly leave my kindle at Security in Madrid.

I didn't realise this until I was halfway down the tunnel going onto the second plane when I thought 'Hmm. I haven't seen my kindle in a while...' This whole thing only happened as I was made to pull everything out of my bag upon leaving my first plane as I am obviously THE MOST DODGY LOOKING PERSON COMING FROM PERU.
So after my water and myself had been fully checked, I had repacked everything into my rucksack and wondered off, leaving my kindle behind. 
So having ran back to the security after being told that the plane WILL leave without me, I was then faced with a particularly serious looking guard who then questioned me in depth about my kindle - in Spanish- while I am trying to remember the books I have on there and also being very aware that the plane I am meant to be on is about to take off WITHOUT ME. I eventually get it back, make it to the plane and somehow get on it.

2 hours later, I am waiting for my baggage (and hoping it hasn't got lost on route) and there is only a door between my family and I.  I walk through the arrival to be greeted with a banner (courtesy of my boyfriend and my sister) and my sister running towards me.  It is a moment I won't forget.

Christmas flew by with a trip to the Bournemouth Christmas Markets with Lucas, my boyfriend, the Pantomime, Snow White, working A LOT and squeezing in seeing everyone.  I was so busy I didn't get to see everyone but some of them are coming to visit me in Paris!


Saying goodbye to friends and family was difficult but knowing I am only a train or plane away means our goodbyes won't be for very long.

I arrived in Paris on Wednesday night with Lucas and after travelling around the underground with everything but the kitchen sink, we arrived at my apartment, unpacked, met my new housemates who had made us dinner and settled in.  I popped into my new work on Thursday - Good job as well as I got lost and it took me over an hour - and it is only a 10 minute walk from my apartment! Yesterday, we went into the centre of Paris to be tourists.  Even though I have visited Paris before, I had never been up the Eiffel Tower.  So we went up and took in the breathtaking view of Paris. Even on a cloudy (AND VERY COLD) day, it was still very pretty and hopefully next time, I can make it to the sommet as that was closed because of the weather. 

So today, Saturday, I went back to Gare du Nord with Lucas and said goodbye as he headed home.  It was sad but easier knowing that this time, I wasn't saying goodbye for 4 months.  I will be okay.  I bought a bottle of wine for myself and I have a camembert wheel and a whole french stick to eat toute seule tonight. 

So I am now sat here with a cuppa tea, a candle burning and the 'Easy00s' playlist from Spotify on in background with my jogging bottoms on and my whale slippers keeping my feet warm. In Paris.  In France. Ready to start work on Monday. 

Well, here is to the second part of my in-SEINE year abroad - speaking of the Seine River, overflowing much?!

Comments

Popular Posts